As Chief Engineer, you will work closely with the company management, the larger engineering team, and other functions in a broad range of engine development activities in an R&D environment to lead the technical aspects of the project engineering team to bring a version of LPI’s breakthrough rotary HEHC X-engine design to commercialization.
You will be responsible for overseeing design, testing, and development work to support the company in the execution of this specific engine, serving as a managing team member of a growing project engineering team as the company ramps towards production with this engine. In this role, you will oversee the engineering staff including test engineers, development engineers, designed engineers, modeling and calibration staff, supporting staff, and contractors that are specifically assigned to your program. Some of these will be direct reports and others will be cross-functional. You will be responsible for overseeing and coordinating BOM’s, organizing resources, describing company plans, procurement, and other means to manage the company’s design and hardware procurement for this engine. You will work with a variety of suppliers and vendors and contractors to procure hardware deliverables. In some cases, you will be asked to be involved in face-to-face meetings and presentations with customers, investors, and partners.
Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Overseeing the engine project engineering staff and interface between the project engineering team and the balance of management and other functions. You will work with the vice president of engineering on the project. You will develop and execute plans to address technical objectives associated with developing this version of a new rotary engine from prototype through production, and you will present data and ideas to management in a coherent way ensuring that the team fully understand and reaches an effective conclusion.
- You will work closely with several special advisors and consultants, and the vice president of engineering, as well as other key management team members to establish the technical direction for the engine program. Part of this responsibility is to focus the team's efforts (acknowledging that resources are limited, we must prune the efforts to maximize value, defined as functional gains divided by generalized cost).
- You will lead by example - including debugging all the technical aspects of the engine development; You will spend at least 80% of your time in the lab slash engineering offices, working side by side with engineering reports and cross-functional team members.
- Apply invention and problem solving to improve functional and durability performance of the engine and the associated components and systems, including developing specific suggestions to improve the engine design.
- Recruit top notch engineering talent to support the development program as necessary, and as funding allows. An “A” team identifies gaps and tries to recruit people better than themselves to help fill those gaps.
- Build and maintain a cohesive engineering project team, striving to maximize team productivity.
- Develop and maintain relationships with contractors, advisors, machine shops, etc. If a supplier is not performing you may need to visit the supplier and discuss key concerns and opportunities for improving (cost, quality, delivery time).
- Develop and maintain knowledge of the cutting edge within the industry of high efficiency engine development. We expect you will spend a significant portion of your time asking questions, reading papers, and learning about relevant topics.
- Develop and reach out to industry contacts and introduce the company to your network to assist with commercialization and recruitment of strategic partners. Participate in meetings with potential customers as requested).
- Assist in the development of programs for customer projects. This includes developing project plans, estimating material cost and labor, developing proposals, and then following through with engineering oversight during program execution.
- On occasion, support company business development objectives by organizing technical demos and participating in technical discussions with potential strategic partners.
- Maintain a spirited, open-minded personality and a can-do attitude in a course of unavoidable failures in a research environment. Motivate the team around you.
- This broad range of work responsibilities requires invention, imagination, originality and relies on your significant experience in related fields of mechanical design and implementation of engine systems.
- A strong, higher level engineer with experience equivalent to the chief of engine program level, with specific expertise in assembly design and integration of engines and their associated integration and adaptation systems and components.
- Able to manage the integration of complex systems optimizing size, weight, complexity, cost, and function.
- A dreamer, an innovative, out-of-the-box thinker with an analytical mind. A hands-on problem solver.
- A degreed (MS or PhD a plus) engineer with 10+ years of relevant experience.
- Technically deep, with experience in combustion engines or rotary equipment, thermofluid components, and electromechanical systems.
- Proficient with the use of design and simulation tools (SolidWorks a plus)
- An exceptional verbal and written communicator.
- Creative and up for a challenge. Our goal is to build the world’s most efficient and power-dense rotary engines, and you will be leading the way.
Preferred Skills Include:
- Complex combustion engine system assembly integration and packaging
- Electro-hydraulic-mechanical Design/Simulation
- Solidworks; CAD, FEA, Simulation
- Hands-On approach to work; Design, Build and Testing
- Project Management and Presentation skills; MS Word, MS Project, MS PowerPoint, Excel
One of the things we value about our work culture is our people. We work hard, but also have a flexible paid time off policy, encouraging employees to unplug and refuel! Daily work hours can flex around what works best for your work-life balance.
Health and wellness help us show up.
We provide a total rewards package including medical, dental, and vision coverage. You choose what works for you!
Our permanent employees are invested in what we do through the offering of Restricted Stock Units (RSUs).
Don’t leave money on the table.
We offer a 401k w/100% matching up to 3% of your salary and then 50% of contributions between 3-5%.
Never stop learning.
We have training programs to LAUNCH your career through specialization courses, seminars, and other lifelong learning and development resources.
LiquidPiston, Inc. will ensure that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.