Experimental Operations Leader- Engine Development
LiquidPiston is seeking an Experimental Operations Leader for our rotary IC engine development laboratory.
As Experimental Operations Leader, you will lead a team of engineers in a broad range of engine development activities aimed at bringing LPI's rotary engines to production. You will be responsible for planning and execution of all testing, measurement, and data collection activities required to develop novel engine concepts and supporting systems. You will be part of the engineering leadership team that is responsible for setting and achieving the technical objectives of the company.
- BS or higher in Mechanical Engineering, MS or Ph.D. preferred
- 5+ years of professional experience with engine testing and/or calibration.
- Expertise in MATLAB and automation of data analysis.
- Ability to maintain enthusiasm, work ethic, and open mind through challenging projects.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Lead the Experimental Operations team by coaching, engaging, providing feedback, establishing work plans, and setting high expectations for the team members.
- Define the strategy for accomplishing experimental development activities as part of the engineering leadership team.
- Establish & execute plans for investments in equipment, facilities, and team staffing.
- Oversee the team responsible for designing and building experimental test systems & tools to deliver the data needed by Product Development.
- Ensure the integrity & quality of experimental data, conclusions, and reports produced by the engineering team.
- Establish and enforce practices to ensure safety and regulatory compliance for the facility.
- Enlist and oversee consultants, contractors, interns - as needed to supplement the full-time staff.
- Identify and address performance gaps and skill deficiencies within the lab team and provide constructive feedback to other engineering teams and leaders.
- Establish practices and processes to ensure that test articles are measured and documented appropriately before and after testing (build & teardown reports).
- Identify opportunities to accomplish development objectives in creative ways that deliver higher quality or faster results or lower costs.
- Pursue advanced data analysis, management, and post-processing techniques to find the most value from every experiment.
- Operate as a "player/coach" by delegating or directly engaging in work, as needed.
- Contribute to product development advancements, particularly in the areas of performance tuning, electronics integration, and diagnostic features.
- Follow company policies (data management procedures, time reporting, IP protection, regulatory compliance, etc.).
- Communicate professionally with teammates.
- Provide clear documentation of results, summaries, and executive summaries.
- Maintain a spirited, open-minded disposition and "can-do" attitude despite obstacles and setbacks.
- Experience with advanced rotary or piston engine technologies (EGR, Miller cycle, HCCI, boosting, etc.)
- Experience with bearings, gears, seals, high-speed rotating machinery.
- Experience working in a machine shop/prototype environment.
- Experience with engine simulation tools (GT Power, CONVERGE, etc)
- Experience growing a small/medium-sized company.
One of the things we value about our work culture is our people. We work hard, but also have a flexible paid time off policy, encouraging employees to unplug and refuel! Daily work hours can flex around what works best for your work-life balance.
Health and wellness help us show up.
We provide a total rewards package including medical, dental, and vision coverage. You choose what works for you!
Our permanent employees are invested in what we do through the offering of Restricted Stock Units (RSUs).
Don’t leave money on the table.
We offer a 401k w/100% matching up to 3% of your salary and then 50% of contributions between 3-5%.
Never stop learning.
We have training programs to LAUNCH your career through specialization courses, seminars, and other lifelong learning and development resources.
Based in Bloomfield, CT, LiquidPiston develops compact, powerful, quiet, efficient, low-vibration, multi-fuel capable combustion engines that are scalable from 1HP to over 1000 HP. We're looking for trailblazers and mavericks, people who challenge the status quo and are first to bring new ideas to market. LiquidPiston is a place where the freedom to explore your passion leads to incredible opportunities! This is an exciting time to join the team. LiquidPiston is going beyond pure R&D roots, now industrializing and commercializing our High Efficiency Hybrid Cycle engines for the first time.
Interested? Apply now and tell us how you can help! https://liquidpiston.com
LiquidPiston, Inc. will ensure that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.