Engine Development Intern- Spring 2024
Engine Development Intern, Spring 2024 only!
A separate posting will be available soon for Summer (May 2024 and after).
LiquidPiston is hiring interns! Get a step up in your career by gaining broad exposure to an intense program featuring the design, development, and testing of our novel rotary engines.
As an Engine Development Intern, you will work with Liquid Piston's engineering team in an R&D program aimed to bring a breakthrough rotary engine design to life.
- On track for BS, Master's, or Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering
- Demonstrated interest in high-performance engines (professionally or not)
- Specific design experience with SolidWorks
- Ability to work well in a small team environment, but also solve problems and learn independently
- Solid understanding of Mechanical Engineering basics, emphasis on Thermodynamics, Design, and Manufacturing
Typical work will include the following:
- Create and modify models in SolidWorks
- Perform FEA analyses
- Produce detailed shop-ready drawings
- Communicate with machine shops
- Fabricate and procure engine and test bench components
- Participate in the hands-on assembly of prototype engines
- Conduct engine dynamometer tests
- Set up and maintain data acquisition equipment
- Modify test data post-processing software
- Document results through standardized technical reports
- Participate in weekly technical meetings
- Experience with GT Power, Converge, ANSYS, Labview, MATLAB, Python
- Experience setting up and running Mechanical/Thermal FEA studies
- Experience working in a machine shop
- Prior professional experience in R&D
- Approximately $2800-3500/mo depending on the year in school
Based in Bloomfield, CT, LiquidPiston develops compact, powerful, quiet, efficient, low-vibration, multi-fuel capable combustion engines that are scalable from 1HP to over 1000 HP. We're looking for trailblazers and mavericks, people who challenge the status quo and are first to bring new ideas to market. LiquidPiston is a place where the freedom to explore your passion leads to incredible opportunities! This is an exciting time to join the team. LiquidPiston is going beyond pure R&D roots, now industrializing and commercializing our High Efficiency Hybrid Cycle engines for the first time.
LiquidPiston, Inc. will ensure that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.